Search This Blog

Monday, May 23, 2011

Every Girl Needs Dramatic Gel Eyeliner!

Okay, I have a confession to make...    I love drama! Who out there would disagree with me when I say that we girls like to add a little drama in our life? At least to our eyes, right? Well, Maybelline heard our call for drama and have now come out with this amazing Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner. 


Now, I must say that I have tried many different gel eyeliners produced by various companies from the drugstore, but much to my frustration I was never impressed with the formula. Many seemed to feel pasty or dry when I applied them to my lids or the product dried out in the pot way faster than I could use it and here I was left with over half the product left. Talk about a waste of money; not cool at all...


So, I was about to surrender and fork out the money to try out the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner that I have heard rave reviews about; even though I did not particularly want to shell out $21.00 for a gel eyeliner. But, thanks to my obsession with watching beauty reviews and makeup tutorials on YouTube, I was one day watching one of my favorite gurus, Lisa Eldridge mention her first impressions trying out Maybelline's new gel eyeliner. She was super impressed by the formula and even the brush that comes with it. Now, for Lisa Eldridge (who happens to be a highly successful makeup artist; check out her channel on YouTube to see some of her work!)  to be hyped up over a drugstore makeup product, I knew that it was worth me trying out. 


So, a few days later I happened to be checking out Ulta's website and they were offering 50% off Maybelline's products. I literally jumped off my chair at the chance to get my hands on this gel liner for half the retail price. Yes, I know, I could walk down to Walgreens or WalMart and buy it, (I don't have an Ulta anywhere near me) but for some reason, there is way more fun in receiving something you really want in the mail and opening up the packaging and falling in love with the item you were anticipating (sigh...). Anyways, 50% off was too good a deal to pass up, for I do love me a great bargain!


When it finally showed up and I opened up the box,  I was a little surprised by the packaging. Now, the first thing I noticed was how tiny the pot was that the gel eyeliner came in. I confess I was shocked, especially since I saw that this little tiny thing retails for $9.99 (thank goodness I got mine half off, I thought). 


Than I took out the brush, not quite sure what to expect. After testing it out, I liked how the brush fit nicely in my hands and is surprisingly great to work with considering it is from the drugstore. The bristles are not harsh; although I have felt softer brushes I am happy with the feel this one has. The bristles are rounded off, not like the typical angled brush that I have been applying my gel liners with. When applying the product with this brush, I find that it works just as well as an angled brush; I don't see or feel any noticeable difference.


Then came the exciting part...I found out that the texture of the gel eyeliner is very creamy, smooth, and velvety; it actually made me smile (you know something is pleasing when it makes you smile, right?) Like I said, I have tried many different gel eyeliners from the drugstore and this one is hands down the best. It is extremely easy to apply because the texture is so smooth. The pigmentation in just as Maybelline claims it is: highly concentrated. They go on to say that this gel eyeliner is smudge-proof and waterproof up to 24 hours. Now, I cannot back them up on the waterproof claim just yet, as I have not tested that area out, but I will say that I have worn this liner for up to ten hours in a day, and trust me, it wasn't going anywhere. Where I applied it is where it stayed.


I got mine in Blackest Black, but it does come in three other colors: Brown, Charcoal and Eggplant. I have yet to try out the other colors, but the black lives up to it's name. In no way is it grey, in no way is it off a shade; it is pure black. I love pigmentation! Wouldn't it be great if they would come out with some extra fun colors like teal or a bright blue? I am a sucker for color if you haven't already noticed!

Now, as I said before, I was surprised how tiny the pot is in comparison to other gel liners I have bought (example: Loreal Hip gel eyeliners where the packaging is massive and you are getting 4.5 g). In regards to Maybelline you receive 3 grams, which after thinking about it is better in the long run, because gel eyeliners do tend to dry out so you want to be able to use up your product before that happens. Yet, a little of this goes a long way and has tremendous staying power, so I can't say when a person will need to repurchase this if they were to use this everyday.


All I can tell you is that before you run off to the department store and buy the high end gel eyeliners that we all love, why don't you instead make your way to your local drugstore and get your hands on Maybelline's Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner? Then use the rest of the money that you saved to buy yourself a nice Maybelline lipstick in your favorite shade. 


Seriously, can a girls day get any better than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment