Search This Blog

Thursday, October 6, 2011

How Do You Control Oil?

I have a confession to make...   of the not so pretty kind. I have oily skin. Not just here and there on the T-Zone oily, but all over my face oily. I envy those who complain of an oily T-Zone because they have so much less oil to contend with than I. 


I have tried a few different things through out the years, but one constant that has remained forever faithful to me are my Clean and Clear Oil Blotting Wipes. Yes, it is true, they are not a topical lotion for my skin to prevent oil from spilling out of my pores all day long, but they have been great at getting rid of the oil that is produced while leaving my make up in tack and my face feeling clean and matt. 
They come in a sleek packaging that can slip right into your purse. When you peel the sticker off inside it sticks to the sheet on top so when you open the packaging a sheet pulls out for your convenience. 
Clean and Clear claims:
"Instantly removes excess oil. Won't smudge makeup. Invigorating fragrance."
Of course, you can purchase the blue packaging that is fragrance free and works just as well. And let me tell you, it lives up to it's claims so much so, that I have been using these for over ten years now!



These retail for anywhere from $4.89 to $6.50, depending on where you purchase them. Thankfully I have a Big Lots down the way from me and I am able to purchase mine for $3.00 and they always have them in stock.  
About a year ago I also tried a product from Proactive called Daily Oil Control. It is a non-comedogenic product that it says helps to eliminate shine.This is what Proactive claims this product will do for you:
"...gently balances oil levels, while keeping skin hydrated, healthy looking and shine-free. our light, oil-free formula contains skin conditioning ingredients specially designed to reduce sebum levels while controlling acne blemishes."
I have to say that this was not a stand out product because after not too long  noticed oil spilling forth. Overall, it did not control the shine or oil as well as I would have expected it to.


This retails on Proactive's website for about $26.00. Big bucks and big fail. But than again, my skin is out of control oily.
Recently, I tried De-Slick from Urban Decay by Skindinavia, having high hopes for this high end product that I shelled out, was it $30 bucks or so, for. I tried it for a week and unfortunately it was another product that was not strong enough to hold fast against my permeating oily glands. I will say that it kept the oil at bay for maybe three hours and I had great expectations, thinking I found my holy grail. But, my oil did eventually seep through (yes, gross) sooner than I hoped.


Urban Decay claims regarding this product:
"...uses an innovative oil control system that both absorbs excess sebum and controls surface shine...mists on, feels weightless, and sets makeup so it lasts all day...even through moisture, wind and heat!..contains a powerful cocktail of high-tech ingredients: a cooling agent that chills makeup so skin feels as fresh as it looks, and light dispersing particles that deflect shine and deliver a matte look for up to 16 hours."
Holy Mole-y, that is a lot of promises to live up to. I have honestly heard great reviews on this product, but for my super oily skin, it did not work one bit. When I had read the back I had big hopes thinking that it would solve all my problems, but alas, no go. 
I am thinking of trying the Proactive product underneath the Urban Decay mist to see if that will work better, so I will keep you informed.
But, over all, I think that I would spray this product on when going some where nice when I want my makeup to be a little fresher a little longer. 
And the great thing about this product is that it is safe for you to use as it is paraben free. And for acne-prone ones out there, like myself, this product is oil-free. So, maybe you can use this product and not break out while controlling shine. 
And, lets remember, what works best for others may not work for you. 
Until then, I will continue in my battle to fight oil and we shall see who will win!

No comments:

Post a Comment