Search This Blog

Friday, December 2, 2011

Scented Nail Polish? What Will They Come Up With Next?

I have a confession to make...    I was lured into buying Revlon's scented nail polish in Ocean Breeze, a beautiful dark blue-green color. The deep blue-green color is complimented by a grey, almost but not quite, black, giving it that subtle duo-chrome. When I laid my eyes on this color, I knew that this was right up my alley!
It took two coats to reach the opacity that I wanted, giving me the exact color shade that was in the bottle, which I loved! 
Now, it says that when the polish is dry is when you will be able to smell the perfume in the nail polish. First off, let me tell you just how unnecessary it is for nails to have their own scent. I thought that this concept was a little gimmicky, but I really wanted the color and thought that it would be neat to test this product out and see if it really does give off a pleasant odor. 
Now, I wish that somewhere on the bottle it would tell us what the scent is supposed to smell like, but since it does not, I was more or less expecting the smell to coincide with the name of the polish, "Ocean Breeze". 
But, I what I was smelling was nothing that reminded me off the ocean. When I think of the ocean I think of how the air is salty and there is always that subtle fishy smell in the air; at least where I live, because it is cold on the coast since I don't live near the sunny beaches of California! So, my interpretation of the Ocean is not what I want to smell on my finger tips all day.
The smell was unidentifiable, but it did come off almost like a cool scent, mixed in with a faint smell of paint. Nothing like an Ocean Breeze. I personally was not fond of the scent, but it did fade as the day wore on leaving just a trace of the smell.
One other thing that I was not too keen on, and I have had trouble with Revlon nail polish doing this to me occasionally, is that it bubbled on my nails after drying. I promise that I do not shake the bottle to mix the polish before applying it; instead I turn in upside down and roll it between my hands to avoid the bubbles. 
What am I doing wrong!?!?
Another word of caution: This polish did not last long on my nails before chipping and I even used a top coat. By the end of the day I noticed chipping and I could stand to wear this polish for two days before the chipping was overwhelming and painful to look at.
Would I re-purchase a scented nail polish again? I would give it another try, but not for the scent. If I found a color I loved and it happened to be scented, yes I would buy it. Truthfully, I just think that this is just another way to get people to buy their products, in a way, revamping them selves and trying to make them stand out as a little bit different than other polishes. 
But, scented nail polish, really?

No comments:

Post a Comment