Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Tarte's Carried Away Collector's Set 2012

I have a confession to make...      I have always wanted to try a few products by Tarte cosmetics and I finally broke down to buy their collectors set they came out with this past holiday season. I had first seen reviews of the kit on YouTube and it looked perfect, so perfect that I knew if I did not buy this limited addition collection I would regret it for the rest of my life! I bought mine on sephora.com for $54.00, a great deal for everything included!

Well do I regret my decision?

I have to say that I adore the packaging. It comes in a travel case with two big see-through zipper compartments to put your lipgloss, face products and so forth. The mirror in the case is huge and not wonky in any way. Behind it is a sleeve where the eyeshadow palette slips into, which I am sure you can place an eyeshadow palette of your choice in there as long as it is slim enough. 

The quality of the travel bag is excellent because if you get makeup inside the pockets or on the outside, you can easily wipe it off since it is of a soft plastic material. Just take a makeup wipe to it and it's clean!






This kit comes with twenty-four full sized eyeshadows in a slim cardboard case. The case is magnetic, so it does not flop open when handled. Thus, no worries about your shadow getting wrecked. The eyeshadows are grouped into quads of four, which makes it easy when creating your makeup look for the day. 

Now, I was most eager to try their eyeshadows because they looked so pretty and gorgeous in the swatches online. People where even raving about the wonderful pigmentation of these shadows. Well, I hate to say this, but I was disappointed enough in these eyeshadows that I will never be repurchasing Tarte eyeshadows ever again. In the pan they look amazing, but when applied and swatched they come off more sheer than I like or expected. Even over Urban Decay's Primer Potion and MAC's Painterly Paintpot they still came off less intense on the lid. 

The texture of these shadows are beautiful. They are buttery and soft and very easy to blend. Yet, I find them to be a little too soft which causes noticeable fallout; something I did not expect from a high-end cosmetic line. 

Four matte shades are included in this palette, two of them being matte neutrals for blending. The other two are deeper shades off matte for outter corners. The other shadows range from pearl finishes to metallics and shimmer.

I think that these shadows are great for someone who likes a little bit of color without the intensity. These are great for everyday neutral looks with just a wash of color. For the office and work this will be your go to palette. Yet, still, I am disappointed and I am still trying it out everyday to try and fall in love with them; but to no avail...

The names of the eyeshadows are not written anywhere on the palette. Only on a plastic protective sheet of plastic that I had to throw out because it got extreemly annoying. But I did write the names of the shadows in order to the quads on the palette itself so I would not forget the names. 

Please excuse these photos... I had tried this kit out for a month before taking pictures of it. So Sorry, but everything still holds true! I swatched these eyeshadows on bare skin with no primer so that you could see for yourself the true pigmentation of the product...



Eyeshadow palette

Top Left: Snowfall In Paris
Top Right: Golden Gate Bridge
Bottom Left: Volcanic Ash
Bottom Right: Pyramid Gold


No flash from left to right:
Snowfall In Paris, Golden Gate Bridge, Volcanic Ash, Pyramid Gold

With Flash in same sequence


Top Left: Pearl River
Top Right: Seychelles Sand
Bottom Left: Touchdown In Londontown
Bottom Right: Martha's Vineyard

With flash from left to right:
Pearl River, Seychelles Sand, Touchdown In Londontown, Martha's Vineyard
Top Left: Pebble Beach
Top Right: Boston Brick
Bottom Left: Spanish Sangria
Bottom Right: Napa Grapes
With flash from left to right:
Pebble Beach, Boston Brick, Spanish Sangria, Napa Grapes
With flash in same sequence


Top Left: Georgia Peach
Top Right: Tuscan Sun
Bottom Left: Acai Jungle
Bottom Right: Coral Reff
No flash from left to right:
Georgia Peach, Tuscan Sun Acai Jungle, Coral Reef
With flash in same sequence
Top Left: Iceland Air
Top Right: Mystic Seaport
Bottom Left: Concrete Jungle
Bottom Right: Hampton Waves
No flash from left to right:
Iceland Air, Mystic Seaport, Concrete Jungle, Hampton Waves
With flash in same sequence
(Hampton Waves is peculiar... matte but with subtle silver sparkle)
Top Left: Sunshine State
Top Right: Hawaiian Palm
Bottom Left: Olive Grove
Bottom Right: Sin City

With flash from left to right:
Sunshine State, Hawaiian Palm, Olive Grove, Sin City
No Flash in same sequence


The other stars of this kit where the eight mini lip glosses, which I had been dying to try! I had heard rave reviews on these and needless to say, after I tried them out for myself, I have to say  I am a fan! But, for a completely different reason than I had hoped for...

When I bought this kit I already knew that the lip glosses where not going to have pigmentation. The color in the tube was not going to go onto my lips that same color. These lip glosses are more of a sheer wash of color on your lips. As you wear it throughout the day and smack your lips together from talking and such, the color will become nothing even though you can still feel the gloss on your lips. So, don't expect a saturation of color from these lippies. Disappointing, yes...

On the other hand, the formula is outstanding! The best in any lip gloss I have tried ever! The maracuja oil and vitamin C in the formula make these highly moisturizing, leaving my lips feeling smooth and infused with moisture! There is a slight tackiness to the gloss, but it is not annoying or uncomfortable to wear. It feel nice on the lips especially with it's minty scent!

There are four shimmery shades and four creamy shades. A perfect mix!



Great doe foot applicator


From left to right:
Anna, Mer, Nuria, Casey
From left to Right:
Anna, Mer, Nuria, Casey

From left to right:
Mel, Jena, Heath, Ali

From left to right:
Mel, Jena, Heath, Ali

I have been wanting to try Tarte's Amazonian Clay Blushes in forever! This kit came with a mini blush in the color Adventurous, a beautiful shimmery pinkish-brown color. The shade would definitely flatter many skin tones, giving it a soft subtle wash of color. 

Something I do like is the sublte shade of this blush and how you do not have to be afraid of putting too much on. I would like to try more shades in the future soon!

Adventurous
Blush swatched out with flash
Blush swatched out with no flash

The brush that it comes with is gorgeous with purple and gold! The weight of it is sturdy and durable and the brush is soft on the skin, feeling very luxurious! It works perfectly for blush and bronzer.





This kit also comes with a mini sample of their setting powder, which I have not tried on my skin yet, but feels soft and fine when swatched. Looking forward to reviewing this in the near future!

Lights Camera Lashes is also included in this kit in a mini-tube and I have to say, I am in love! A review with before and after shots is coming your way very soon!



Am I in love with this Tate collection? (Sigh....) 

I am on the fence and unsure how I feel. A mixture of disappointment in the eyeshadows but a definite love of the blush and mascara for sure. The lip gloss I could easily leave behind despite the awesome formula since it lacks the pigmentation I truly desire. 

On the other hand, this is a great travel friendly case that I can load with my own goodies and throw in my bag. I have already taken this on the road with my, eyeshadows and all, and I must say, it travels well! 

So, if you are into soft makeup, this is for you and I suggest you try and find this collection soon before it sells out on Sephora if it hasn't already! I know on Amazon you can buy it for $85.00, which I believe it is not worth that price tag at all!

Tell me, where you carried away by Tarte's Carried Away Collection?

No comments:

Post a Comment