Search This Blog

Friday, June 17, 2011

Does Maybelline's Superstay 24 Hour Lip Color Really Shine?

I have another confession for you...    I have mixed reviews over  Maybelline's new Superstay 24 Hour Lip Color. I have always been hesitant to try lip stains because my first and last experience with Cover Girl's lip stain back in the day turned me off from trying any other lip stains (I found it way too drying on  my lips). That is, until Maybelline came out with their new formula, I was pulled in by the promise of a lip color lasting for 24 hours, no reapplying needed.
I purchased the color Continuous Coral, which by the way is more of a pink raspberry, at least on my lips. The color families this product comes in are Pinks, Reds, Plums and Naturals, which left me almost disappointed, because I was looking for a shade that had a nice coral-peach or coral-orange color to add to my collection. But they did not offer anything close, so that is why I ended up with Continuous Coral, hoping it would lean coral, but as I said, no it didn't.
Anyhow...I exfoliated my lips in the morning and after I worked out I applied this to my lips (10:25 a.m.) and I was impressed by the immediate staying power it has. Make sure that when you apply you don't make a mistake like going outside the lines of your lips, because you won't be able to fix it! I applied one coat and waited two minutes, as the directions state, before applying the balm over the top. 
I will say that the formula dried super quick and it felt only slightly dry, so I did have to apply the balm over the top through out the day because I cannot stand dry lips.
I made myself promise that no matter what, even if it did fade and feather through out my day of eating and drinking I was not going to apply a second coat of color, just the balm. I wanted to see just how well this product lived up to its claim. 
By the end of the day when I went to take my makeup off (7:40'ish p.m.) it was still on my lips with minimal fading around the edges, but nothing noticeable. And to push the experiment a little farther (haha) I went to bed without removing the lip stain to see how it would endure the night. When I woke up my husband told me I still had lipstick on, which pleasantly surprised me.
(Continuous Coral)
(When First Applied)
(About Nine Hours Later)
So, what I like is the staying power of this product and how there is no need to reapply at all. There was no transfer at all as I went about my day, which was awesome. My only suggestion would be to stay away from eating anything oily as it will definitely come off, so be prepared to reapply. It felt slightly drying, but I have worn worse drying lip products, so applying the balm helped very much.
I'm not too thrilled with the color selection, but then again I am picky about my shades as I like a vast variety and for some reason the selection in the color families seemed almost the same to me. There are no daring adventuresome colors, just your safe everyday colors (which is nice, but it seemed the product that Cover Girl has that is similar to Maybelline's has way more variety). 
I absolutely like how the balm is packaged conveniently with the lip color for easy travel. You don't have to purchase the balm separately, which saves money and I like saving money!
So, I would have to say that this is worth the money that you spend on it if you want a lip color that you will not have to touch up as you go through your day. I went to Rite Aide and got mine for $9.98 and they ran a BOGO special and I got my Falsies Mascara for $3.Something that I love.
While I may be on the fence with this product, I like it more than I hate it. My only hope is that Maybelline will come out with some more colors, but than again, I confess that I am picky...



No comments:

Post a Comment