Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Rimmel Stay Matte Clarifying Foundation Trial Review


I have a confession to make....   I am not in love with Rimmel's Stay Matte foundation. I want so bad to love this product because I have tried so many foundations (Neutrogena's Skin Clearing oil-free foundation and Almay's Truely Lasting Color 16 hour foundation) and have not been impressed with the staying power nor the coverage that these products gave for me. 
Now, let us just start by getting it out there...I have terrible skin; super oily (not just on the T-zone, but all over!), acne scars, discoloration from acne and yes, even though I am in my twenties, acne breakouts still (blech)! So, I need foundation that is not going to clog my pores and that will actually have the power to combat my ferocious oil glands and not slide off my face in horror. So, bottom line, my skin is very picky and ance-prone. FUN!
So, when I was at Walgreens a little over a week ago now, just needing to pick up some makeup remover towelettes, I browsed through the makeup department as usual and kept my eyes peeled for those bright orangey-red stickers that would let me know what was on clearance that week.
When I saw the Rimmel foundation was marked down to $3.50 I grabbed for a shade that closest matched my color. There was only a few bottles left and luckily I found that when I got home, the one I bought did match me pretty well.
 Rimmel claims on the back of the bottle: 
"Shine control formula for up to 12 hours matte coverage. With Skin-pure Complex for a visably purified complexion and gentle botanical extracts to help soothe sensitive skin. Oil-free. Non-comededogenic. Non-acnegenic.Fragrance free. Paraben free." 
Needless to say, I liked what I read and was super excited to try this thing out, thinking that it was going to give me the appearance of clear skin and it was going to give me more control with my oily face; not to mention it was nourishing for my skin! 
So, I have given this foundation a trial run of a week and have worn it five times since I bought it. Now, the first time that I wore this, I was shocked at how sheer this applied to my skin. It was just like my Neutrogena and Almay foundations that do not offer the coverage that I need for my skin type. I find that in order to get the coverage to satisfy me and hide my scars somewhat, I need at least two applications. I always set my foundation with a face powder all over since I have an oil spill swimming around on my face (I use, as of a month ago, Almay Line Smoothing pressed powder, which I am happy with for setting foundation). 
When I wore this the first few times I was happy with it, but didn't love it. What I find I like about it is that it seems to have more staying power than my Neutrogena foundation and, while with my oily skin I don't ever think there's a foundation out there (no matter their claims) that will give me a complete matte finish,  Rimmel did help control some of the shine way longer and way better than any foundation I have tried lately (for example: normally I will get super shiny an hour after wearing foundation). I am happy that it feels really light on my skin, and I don't feel like I am a breakout waiting to happen.
 But, despite all that, I do not like how I can still notice my discoloration spots underneath the two applications. I would not say that this foundation is very build-able, because I can still see my imperfections underneath, so this does not have very good coverage for blemishes and the such. Anyways, who really wants to wear three or more layers of foundation on their skin with out the fear of looking cakey? 
Then, there is the fact that it does not help this oil-slick stay matte, like the product claims. True, I wasn't as oily as I would get using the other foundations I mentioned, but I still do get a slight noticeable shine after about three hours of wearing. I will have to take my oil-blotters and blot my face, which I think is something I will always have to do, no matter the foundation.  I was very giddy about the promise that this makeup gave, but unfortunately did not deliver on.
On the positive side, I think it will work brilliantly for those of you who have normal skin and not a lot of destruction to cover up on their face. I will admit that I will use this foundation for everyday wear, especially this summer when it gets too hot to wear full coverage foundations. 
So, I will confess, I am not going to be repurchasing Rimmel's Stay Matte Clarifying Matte Foundation once it is all used up. I might just have to give in and try Revlon's ColorStay foundations, which I have heard nothing but good things about. But, what holds me back from trying this product is that I am terrified it will break me out like crazy! I have heard mixed reviews on it from girls with the same skin problems that I have. But, maybe for those special occasions I will only wear it for that flawless look...
Oh, well, this didn't work for me. Maybe it will work for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment