Search This Blog

Friday, September 9, 2011

Loreal De-Crease Vs. Urban Decay Primer Potion


I have a confession to make...   I have been dying to see a beauty showdown between Loreal's De-Crease Eye Shadow Base and Urban Decay's Eyeshadow Primer Potion to see who comes out the ultimate winner! I have heard Loreal De-Crease has been compared, and dare I say it a dupe, to Urban Decay's famous eyeshadow primer potion and I thought since the high end version retails for about $19.00 at Sephora I would give the cheaper drugstore version a go and see if I could save some cash in the future.




I purchased Loreal's Shadow Base at my local Walgreens for $7.99, a price that was very friendly to my pocket book, so I left the store with a smile (and a few extra goodies)! As you can see, the Loreal product comes in a lipgloss like packaging with a doe foot applicator. I find the packaging convenient since the slanted applicator ensures that you will be able to scrape the inside of the plastic tube that the product comes in.
There also was only one shade available, for all skin tones which I found to be true for my skin as it applied invisibly, much like the Urban Decay Primer Potion which is transparent. The consistency feels almost identical, very smooth like velvet. I did find I had to wait a few seconds for Loreal's base to set.
This is what Loreal claims this product is going to do for you:

"Use this unique eyeshadow base to prevent creasing or fading, and to extend wear up to 8 hours. Can be used with powder, cream or gloss shadows. One universal shade for all skin tones."

To Use:
1. Use wand to apply base to lid.
2.Using fingertip, blend base from lash line to brow.
3.Allow base to set for a few seconds and then apply shadow.
Loreal De-Crease comes with .20oz while the Urban Decay Primer Potion comes with .37oz. We can clearly see who is giving more quantity, but what about the quality of the product you say? Is Loreal really an affordable replacement for the much loved expensive higher end luxury item?
Lets find out...

These are the products I used today in my experiment
 I decided to go for a vibrant eyeshadow color today so that you and I could clearly see the color payoff that both Loreal and Urban Decay primers offer. I feel that will show us more clear any fading or creasing that could happen.
I applied the Loreal De-Crease Shadow base on my left eye and the Urban Decay Primer Potion on my right eye. This is what I came up with today!

Left eye at 11:00 in the afternoon using the Loreal product

Left eye fresh and ready to go!
Loreal used on this eye

Right eye at 11:00 in the afternoon using the Urban Decay Primer Potion

Right eye, Bright and Ready!
So, I went through my normal day, played outside in the hot summer sun with my toddler and did all of the normal day to day things...
Than, just before 8:00 p.m., almost nine hours later, I was going to wrap up my day and take off my makeup. I snapped a few quick pics to show the wear and tear, so sorry for the quality of the pictures but I had to hurry because I had to put two little boys to bed for the night, so I did my best!

Right eye after 8 1/2 hours of wear!
Using the Urban Decay Primer Potion

Right eye

Left eye, after 8 1/2 hours of wear
Using the Loreal De-Crease Shadow Base

Left eye
I know that Loreal claims that their shadow base will last for up to eight hours with out creasing and fading and I stretched that time frame out by thirty minutes, but still...the product broke down pretty badly were as the Urban Decay Primer potion stood the test of time strong!  The electric blue of the shadow was still bright with no noticeable fading and definitely no creasing. 
Sadly, the Loreal product did not even come in close to a chance. Yet, I think that a person might use this particular product for when they will be out for a limited amount of time and they need their eyeshadow to stay in place. Because, truly, how many of us with work and life are going to be out facing the world for less than eight hours?
I believe Urban Decay knew that we needed something that would be long lasting and worry free!
So, I recommend that you purchase the Urban Decay Eye Primer Potion because even though it is pricier than a drugstore primer, a little bit goes a long way so this will last you a while. And this product will not dry out to my knowledge so you don't have to worry about wasting your hard earned money. Anyways, who uses their eye primers everyday unless it is work or special occasions?
Nice effort, Loreal but Urban Decay is hands down the champion!

No comments:

Post a Comment