Search This Blog

Friday, October 17, 2014

Smashbox On The Rocks Always Sharp Liner Set

When I was browsing Sephora a few weeks ago, I picked up Smashbox On The Rocks Always Sharp Liner Set, because I have not tried out a lot of  Smashbox products before and thought this would be a great start. I could always use an eyeliner, that's for sure!






















One of these full sized eyeliners retails for $20.00 at Sephora, but you get five full size eyeliners for $39.00, which has a value of $100.00! I knew I could not pass this set up, because it was such an outstanding deal!

















I love the idea of these self sharpening pencils, because there is nothing that is more irritating than when I am applying makeup and I reach for an eyeliner and find that it is flat and unsharpened, and so are the next few that I reach for! I know it's weird, but sharpening eyeliners is one of those things that I procrastinate on… So I adore that these self sharpen!

All you have to do for the tip to self sharpen is twist off the cap and without fail, every single time, you will get a finely pointed tip! How easy is that!?

I will tell you something I do not care for, and it is highly personal, is that there is no way to extend the product further out than what is pictured above in the picture. The very top of the pencil twists for some reason, but it doesn't twist the tip of the liner out. So, I am not sure why it would twist at all…. 
















The colors you get are:

*Midnight (blue)- Limited Edition
*Sumatra (brown)
*3D Night Gem (grey with silver sparkles)- Limited Edition
*3D Orchid (purple with pink sparkles)
*Raven (black)


Smashbox says that these are rich in color, so let me tell you my experience with these liners!



Smashbox Always Sharp Liner:
3D Orchid
Left: One swipe
Right: Color built up


I love purple eyeliners, so I was excited that this set came with a purple, and it had pink glitter! As you can see from the swatch, 3D Orchid liner is not very opaque, it tended to skip when I was using it to line my lash line. You have to go over the line a few times to get the color built up, otherwise it looks like a grey. The pink glitter in this is undetectable when applied to the lash line. The texture is a little dry when applied and is not as creamy as I like an eyeliner to be.



Smashbox Always Sharp Liner
3D Night Gem
Left: One swipe
Right: Color built up


It is the same song for the grey color, 3D Night Gem.  It is not opaque so you really have to go over your line a few times to get a rich color. And the sparkle is very subtle, it goes unnoticed when worn on the lash line. This texture also is dry and not creamy like I would hope it to be. I found both these liners with the glitter to apply with a dry texture. 




Smashbox Always Sharp Liner
Midnight
Left: One swipe
Right: Color built up


Midnight is a beautiful matte turquoise-navy blue, such a beautiful color! This was a little creamier when applied, but still not the creamiest eyeliner I have used, which is a little disappointing. You also have to build this color up to make it opaque,  because one swipe and it is dull. 




Smashbox Always Sharp Liner
Raven
Left: One swipe
Right: Color built up


When I buy a black eyeliner, I expect it to be a deep dark black! Raven is lacking in pigment, because it is a dull black and as with the others, you have to build the color up. You can see from the swatches that it is not one of the creamier liners either. With a creamy eyeliner, you get one opaque line of color. As with all of these ones so far, they skip.




Smashbox Always Sharp Liner
Sumatra
Left: One swipe
Right: Color built up


I will say this about Sumatra, this one performed the best out of all five! It was the creamiest of the bunch, even though it is not the most opaque brown I have ever seen. This one will be the most reached for of the set, but as you can see from the picture above, when you build up the color it becomes more rich.

These are said to be a waterproof kohl liner and you can use these on your inner rim, but I have worn these different shades and after a few hours I have found that they do smear on the outer edge of my upper lids. They have transferred from my upper lash line to my brow bone area. Basically, these do not stay strong for all day wear. 

Overall, I am disappointed and unimpressed with these eyeliners and will not be trying anymore of these. These where a bummer and a fail product from Smashbox, which is not exactly a great first impression of the line. 

Let me know what your favorite tried and true products are from Samshbox so I can give them a try myself. I would love to know what products have impressed you!



Have A Great Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment