Search This Blog

Friday, May 1, 2015

e.l.f. Essential Custom Eyes Refill Pan Eyeshadows And Custom Compact, Review And Swatches

I am on an affordable, yet outstanding quality, makeup hunt to find wallet friendly replacements for some (not all) of my higher-end favorites. So, I thought I would try out e.l.f. Essential Custom Eyes Refill Pan eyeshadows, because they are only $1.00 each! e.l.f. regularly runs sales, and right now as of me writing this, these eyeshadows are on sale for .39 cents each! Oh my, how much more affordable can that get?

e.l.f. claims that this eyeshadow delivers high pigmentation and has a silky soft formula that will last all day long. Check out their color selection here where you can find eighteen different colors! Lets see how this panned out for me!




I don't know how this happened, but I forgot to photograph one other e.l.f. eyeshadow I purchased!



Let's start with the eyeshadows themselves, because they are the star of this post, after all!














I ordered this on e.l.f.'s website and they come packaged in these cardboard slips. Some of the packages where kind of unfolding, but the eyeshadow was still in tact and protected.













The eyeshadow comes in its own plastic packaging, and protects it from getting banged around and scraped up. I really appreciate that!

As you can see, the pan is a little bigger than the size of a quarter and is very thin and compact. What I really like, is that the name of the eyeshadow is on the back of the pan! So, you can throw the packaging away and not worry about how you are going to remember the name of the eyeshadow!

The texture of these eyeshadows are very soft to the touch. It does feel silky when swatching, but we know there is a difference between how swatches look and how it performs when applied. So, we will get to that soon.

I picked out eight total eyeshadows that I thought that I would truly use and need and hoped would work out for me, along with one fun color, because I was curious about its pigmentation and quality.

Here is palette number one:




Top Left:Peach Fizz
Top Right:Golden Glow
Bottom Left: Moondust
Bottom Right: Teal


Left to Right: Peach Fizz, Golden Glow, Moondust, Teal




I call this one the Turquoise Palette, because the pop of color I added to it! Let me tell you exactly what I thought of each color.

Top Left, Peach Fizz:  In the pan, it looks like an intense peachy-copper. But, when applied, this is a very sheer champagne peach color. It is so sheer, this gives just a wash of color. The intense looking color does not translate that way onto the lids.

Top Right, Golden Glow: This looks like a beautiful orange-copper in the pan, but when applied, this looks exactly like Peach Fizz! There is absolutely no difference between the two of them. I even wore  one on each lid one day just to see if I could tell a difference, and I couldn't. Very disappointing... The orange copper penny look does not translate onto the lids like I hoped it would.

Bottom Left, Moondust: In the pan this looks like a beautiful grey-taupe. But, when applied, there is no pigmentation in this eyeshadow at all! Seriously, this blended into nothingness on my lids. You could barely see any of this color whatsoever. Another disappointment...

Bottom Right, Teal: Isn't this just the most fun color? I picked it to go with the coppers and oranges of the neutral colors in the palette for a fun pop of color. This reminds me of summer! Well, again... disappointing... This lacks seriously on pigmentation and applies chalky. This is a very watered down teal and looks like a faint baby blue color. Bummer...



You can see how chalky Teal is



Overall, the colors that I chose for this palette I could live with out, because they lack pigmentation and blend out to nothingness. When I wore this palette, it was extremely hard to blend these colors out, because they all looked muddy together. It was hard to wear these eyeshadows all day without cringing when I looked in the mirror.




Onto the second palette:




Top Left: Mocha
Top Right: Taupe
Bottom Left: Pink Ice
Bottom Right: Aubergine


Left to Right: Mocha, Taupe, Pink Ice, Aubergine
   




I call this the purple palette because there is a beautiful purple eyeshadow in there that is gorgeous!


Top Left, Mocha: In the pan this is a very beautiful bronze color, but when applied this is a soft champagne taupe color. Interestingly enough, this works really well as a crease color for when you want a little definition in the crease. I truly do like this color, even though it is completely different than what it looks like in the pan.

Top Right, Taupe: When I look at this in the pan, I do not see taupe at all! This looks just like a pretty antiqued gold and it translates exactly that way onto the lids! This is a gorgeous color that I would recommend!

Bottom Left, Pink Ice: This is pretty pale pink-white that is very pretty. When applied, this is a perfect sheen of color that works beautifully on the inner corners as an eye brighter, because this is not at all frosty. I love the sheen this gives off!

Bottom Right, Aubergine: In the pan, this kind of reminds me of what M.A.C Beauty Marked looks like. But, Aubergine is an extremely toned down version of that, because this is, yet again, a sheer pigmentation. When applied, this looks like a sheer purple-brown, which worked well in my otter corners for definition.

Out of the two palettes I built for myself, this is my favorite. The colors in this palette worked beautifully together, despite the lack of pigmentation. They apply way better with a flat shader brush, but it does take time to build the color, so be patient.


Overall, I am not in love with formulation of these eyeshadows, because it is chalky and lacking in pigment. Even though these are only a dollar, please pass on these, because they will only frustrate and disappoint.




Lets see what the compact is like!


















I really like how this is think, small and portable. You can take along four eyeshadows total in this, so you will only be able to tote around the bare minimum. It would be awesome if they came out with a pan that could hold ten or more, would't it?














The pots in the compact are magnetic, as are the eyeshadow pans, so they adhere securely together. I held it upside down and the eyeshadows held up in there perfectly. The compact itself snaps closed and stays closed, so you never have to worry about the compact flopping open when traveling.

I really like this compact, and it makes me wonder if there are any eyeshadows I already own that I can depot that will magnetize to these e.l.f. palettes.... I shall have to venture into my collection to check it out!

I really hope these reviews helped, and were't too overwhelming!



Have A Wonderful Day! 








No comments:

Post a Comment